Sunday, September 25, 2011

BACK TO ENGLAND. . . .


. . . . . with photographs only . . . . One of our day trips from the B&B took us to Athelhampton in Dorchester.  I adored the gardens here which were built in 1891.  The Great Court, after 100 years has evolved into a unique topiary spectacle containing twelve pyramid yews, standing over 30 feet high. . . .








As I walked the perimeter of this topiary garden, there was always
a surprise. . . . .




The famous gardens at Athelhampton were made up of a series of rooms
which were divided by stone walls. 




Entering another garden room. . . .





This 'room' surrounded, in circular form, with stone and
cement columns.







A stone face behind moss. . . . almost every room
has a water feature. . . .so calming and so serene.




An iron gate with bells. . . . such a neat idea. . . as we enter
still another "room" in this garden




Ancient stone walls, ivy and statuary all share
and beautify each garden room.










A special place to sit and dream.



I loved this garden accent . . . . perfectly mossed and weathered . . .



A boy with his dog. . . .









This bench had reached the 'age of reason' but somehow,
it still added a bit of beauty to the garden.





A private residence in the garden.  A young family and heir to this
estate.







We were told not to miss the dovecoat. . . . . I am sad to tell you that I wasn't
quite sure what a dovecoat was. . . . .but, basically, it is a home for domestic
pigeons or doves. . . .






There was no doubt I had found the dovecote. . . . . the cooing of these
doves was calming into itself.



Lunch here was divine.  We ate at the Topiary Restaurant on the premise.
Everything is made using locally sourced fresh ingredients. 


The "watch house" at the entrance to Athelhampton as
we said goodbye.



"For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.   For every
truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it.   For every love there
is a heart somewhere to recieve it."

~ivan panin


The English garden will always have a special place in my heart and soul.


3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Those are beautiful, peaceful photos. I could have used them in my dream post today. hehe
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

savvycityfarmer said...

you've transported me righ there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mary Anne, I've finally had some time to catch up on blogs, and here you are, tempting all with such amazing beauty! I can almost hear the doves cooing in that magnificent dovecote and, oh my, that mossy statue. These are no less than divine - as are you.